Follow the next steps to download Visual C# Express from the Microsoft web site:
By the time you are reading this , this procedure may be a bit different, but it will be similar enough that you’ll be able to find and download the IDE package.
1. Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/.
2. Select the Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions link.
3. Select Windows Development (because for the scope of this book, that is what you’ll be
4. Click the Visual Studio Express Download link.
5. You’ll see a list of Visual Studio Express editions, as shown in Figure 1-1. Click Visual C#
2008 Express Edition.
6. A dialog box appears, asking where you want to store the downloaded file. The file that
you are downloading is a small bootstrap file, which you’ll use to begin the actual
installation of the Visual C# Express IDE. Choose to save the file on the desktop.
These steps can be carried out very quickly, probably within a few minutes. Do not mistake
this procedure for downloading the complete Visual C# Express application, because that’s not
what happened. The installation procedure will download the vast majority of the IDE.
Installing Visual C# Express
this process, all the pieces of the IDE—about 300MB—are downloaded and installed. Follow
1. On your desktop, double-click the vcssetup.exe file. Wait while the setup program
loads all the required components.
2. Click Next on the initial setup screen.
3. A series of dialog boxes will appear. Select the defaults and click Next to continue
through the setup program. In the final dialog box, click Install.
4. After all the elements have been downloaded and installed, you may need to restart
There you go! You're all set now!